We're Neal and Tim. We met each other at college in 1998. We were both psych majors at UC Santa Cruz, quickly bonded over the most absurd things and we've been best friends for almost twenty years now. We live 800 miles apart now in the Seattle area and in the San Francisco Bay Area but we've watched each other grow into fathers. Even though we're different in our parenting styles we totally respect what the other dad is doing.
Our plan here
Spawned from long phone conversations that jumped from topics like fantasy baseball to photography to politics to video games to restaurants (all within a framework of parenting somehow), we thought maybe others would like to join in on this weird conversation we were having. As we strive for the unattainable goal of being perfect parents maybe we can share some of the trials and tribulations of such a fool-hardy prospect. Maybe we'd pick up some other dads along the way as we form a collective - a resource of pooled knowledge wrapped in dad humor. At the very least, it's just two buddies enjoying time spent with each other.
Let us be your guides:
- First and foremost, we both have raised amazing kids (so far).
- Tim has his master's degree in social work and family counseling.
- Neal has a very diverse resume: mental health counselor, family counselor, alternative health care practitioner, photographer, marketing professional, prospective restaurateur.
- We are lifelong learners and will never hesitate to admit when we don't know something. We'll try to know though.
- We're thoroughly entertaining if we say so ourselves (and actually sometimes we don't have to say it ourselves!)
- We have encyclopedic knowledge of the Oakland A's and Los Angeles Clippers.
- We're nerds and geeks but in a charming and endearing way.
- We understand that nearly every problem that our world faces would have a better chance of finding a solution if there were more kids growing up with proper parenting, guidance, and support.